Home | Go Sailing! | Get On Our List! | Support Us

PDF Print

SYC Burgee

Stories from the Stamford Yacht Club

Stamford Yacht Club
97 Ocean Dr W
Stamford, CT 06902-8099
(203) 323-3161

Website: www.stamfordyc.com


The Stamford Yacht Club is located in Stamford, Connecticut on Stamford Harbor, and was founded in 1890 at the home of William Lottimer. The club has approximately 550 members.

Today the club is most noted for the Valeur-Jensen Stamford to Denmark Friendship Race, held in the Fall, and the annual Vineyard Race, held every Labor Day weekend since 1932. NSHOF has a video commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Vineyard Race in its Film Library, and on Stamford Yacht Club's Club Stories page.

The club hosts a number of significant sailboat races during the season, including the Vineyard Race, held every Labor Day weekend, and the Stamford Denmark Friendship Race, held in the fall.


STAMFORD YACHT CLUB BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER

From the Commodore:

"Stamford Yacht Club is proud to participate as a Founding Member of the National Sailing Hall of Fame. Special thanks goes to the leadership of Staff Commodore Joseph Dockery who spearheaded the fund raising efforts. The members of Stamford Yacht Club share and support the goals of NSHOF in promoting sailing and preserving America's sailing traditions."

Thomas Campfield, Commodore


The 75th Vineyard Race 

 

On Friday, September 4, 2009, SYC held the 75th anniversary of it's classic Vineyard Race — one of the premiere yachting events on the East Coast. Challenging yet family-friendly, the annual Labor Day race is a 238-mile long distance course across Long Island Sound, past Block Island, around Martha's Vineyard and back.

This 15-minute movie brings together several sailors recalling their stories from the race, including Gary Jobson's experience racing the Vineyard with Ted Turner, and the 2006 race when Hurricane Ernesto became a last-minute player in the competition.

Approx. 15 mins.


History

The Stamford Yacht Club was organized on Thursday, October 16, 1890. The incorporators were William A. Lottimer, James D. Smith, William W. Skiddy, Albert C. Hall, Walter M. Smith, W.L. Brooks, A.M. Hurlbutt, Schuyler Merritt, Archibald H. Smith, Henry K. McHarg, James I. Raymond, and Samuel Fessenden, all of Stamford.

The Club’s earliest members were active people living in interesting times. The Merritt Parkway is, indeed, named after our second Vice Commodore, whose Commodore, Henry K. McHarg, built a railroad town in Texas that is still called Stamford. 

stamfordyc-02Like hundreds of members who followed them, the founders preserved and enhanced the Club, both for their contemporaries and for generations to come. When we commemorate our fellow members of earlier generations, we not only express our gratitude, but we also gain a sense of our own responsibility as stewards between the Club’s last century and its next. 

 

 

 
Home
About Us
Hall of Fame
Education
Collections/Libraries
On-Site Programs
Sailors & Stories
Info/Contact/News
Contributors
Calendar
Search
Sail for Education
Mid-Year Update

We are seeking
pictures & stories to
help paint a picture
of American Sailing.

Click here to email.

Thank you.


facebook-btn twitter-btn Instagram- @sailinghall US SAILING LOGO
donate_now
Up to 15% discounts for NSHOF founding member clubs - click here for more info


© 2014 National Sailing Hall of Fame, a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization

facebook-btn            twitter-btn             Instagram-sailinghall            US SAILING LOGO