Home | Go Sailing! | Get On Our List! | Support Us

PDF Print

NYC Burgee

Stories from the Nantucket Yacht Club

Nantucket Yacht Club
1 South Beach Street
Nantucket, MA 02554-6100
(508) 228-1400

Website: www.nantucketyachtclub.org

 


The organization which was to become the Nantucket Yacht Club was first chartered in 1890 as the Nantucket Athletic Club. By the summer of 1906 a second group had come together, calling themselves the Nantucket Yacht  Club, whose purpose was to provide sailing and racing for the summer residents of Nantucket, their families and friends. The leadership and membership have been able to hold a steady course - no easy matter with a seasonal operation - making changes as conditions have required and proving that yacht racing and sailing, tennis and social activity can all be kept lively and popular. The next hundred years will be exciting and are full of great promise.


NANTUCKET YACHT CLUB BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER

 


VIDEOS

Nantucket Race Week 2009
 

Every year the beautiful island village of Nantucket sponsors Nantucket Race Week, and every Race Week is a fun and exciting event for the entire family. 2009 was no exception. Here is Gary Jobson's colorful report, with highlights including the IOD Celebrity Regatta and the Parade of Rainbows (known as Beetlecats everywhere else).

About 25 minutes.


Nantucket Race Week 2007
 

Nantucket Race Week has evolved into one of the premier summer sailing events in the USA. Honorary Race Week Chairman Gary Jobson recently produced a film on the 2007 event, with a special feature on the famous Opera House Cup, featuring boats from the vintage America's Cup 12-meter class.

About 25 mins.


 

HISTORY

IT WAS A NEW ERA, a new century - and a new sailing tradition was about to begin.

nantucketold-01Into a burgeoning summer scene, the Nantucket Yacht Club was born in the summer of 1906, when sailing enthusiasts led by H. Holton Wood assembled their boats off Brant Point and held organized races in Nantucket Sound. They met in houses built on Hulbert Avenue in 1900 by Henry Oliver Underwood, and had use of a nearby pier, complete with gazebo, owned by the neighboring Atkins Family.  Although still in its infancy, the new club acted as though it had been established for years. The first flag officers were H. Holton Wood, commodore; J.E.T. Rutter, vice commodore; Alice Underwood, secretary-treasurer; and Margaret Underwood, fleet captain. In mid-September, the yacht club held its first Commodore’s Cup Race to close the season. The new club was here to stay. Like no other instuition of Nantucket, it is a place where traditions are honored, where the past is respected, and where families are celebrated – its history intertwined with that of the island it calls home.

More History from the NYC website (PDF)

 
Home
About Us
Hall of Fame
Education
Collections/Libraries
On-Site Programs
Sailors & Stories
Info/Contact/News
Contributors
Calendar
Search
Mid-Year Update

The Class of 2014

If you have a note-
worthy story from
your Club's history,
let us know about it:

Click here to email.

Thank you.


facebook-btn twitter-btn Instagram- @sailinghall US SAILING LOGO
donate_now
sunsail-discount


© 2014 National Sailing Hall of Fame, a 501(c)(3) Non-Profit Organization

facebook-btn            twitter-btn             Instagram-sailinghall            US SAILING LOGO