Stories from the Nantucket Yacht Club
Nantucket Yacht Club
1 South Beach Street
Nantucket, MA 02554-6100
The organization which was to become the Nantucket Yacht Club was first chartered in 1890 as the Nantucket Athletic Club. By the summer of 1906 a second group had come together, calling themselves the Nantucket Yacht Club, whose purpose was to provide sailing and racing for the summer residents of Nantucket, their families and friends. The leadership and membership have been able to hold a steady course - no easy matter with a seasonal operation - making changes as conditions have required and proving that yacht racing and sailing, tennis and social activity can all be kept lively and popular. The next hundred years will be exciting and are full of great promise.
NANTUCKET YACHT CLUB BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER
Every year the beautiful island village of Nantucket sponsors Nantucket Race Week, and every Race Week is a fun and exciting event for the entire family. 2009 was no exception. Here is Gary Jobson's colorful report, with highlights including the IOD Celebrity Regatta and the Parade of Rainbows (known as Beetlecats everywhere else).
About 25 minutes.
Nantucket Race Week has evolved into one of the premier summer sailing events in the USA. Honorary Race Week Chairman Gary Jobson recently produced a film on the 2007 event, with a special feature on the famous Opera House Cup, featuring boats from the vintage America's Cup 12-Metre class.
About 25 mins.
IT WAS A NEW ERA, a new century - and a new sailing tradition was about to begin.
Into a burgeoning summer scene, the Nantucket Yacht Club was born in the summer of 1906, when sailing enthusiasts led by H. Holton Wood assembled their boats off Brant Point and held organized races in Nantucket Sound. They met in houses built on Hulbert Avenue in 1900 by Henry Oliver Underwood, and had use of a nearby pier, complete with gazebo, owned by the neighboring Atkins Family. Although still in its infancy, the new club acted as though it had been established for years. The first flag officers were H. Holton Wood, commodore; J.E.T. Rutter, vice commodore; Alice Underwood, secretary-treasurer; and Margaret Underwood, fleet captain. In mid-September, the yacht club held its first Commodore’s Cup Race to close the season. The new club was here to stay. Like no other instuition of Nantucket, it is a place where traditions are honored, where the past is respected, and where families are celebrated – its history intertwined with that of the island it calls home.