Alberg30burgee

Stories from the Alberg 30 Association

The Alberg 30 Association

Website: www.alberg30.org


ALBERG 30 ASSOCIATION BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER


A message from our Commodore

While worthy of its affiliation with the National Sailing Hall of Fame, the Alberg 30 is very much the affordable family boat of the future. Whether you seek competitive one design racing or a boat that can take you anywhere in the world, you need look no further. These boats have strong bones. You can buy a fifty-year-old Alberg today and be passing that same boat to your children fifty years from now. If you take care of her, she will take care of you. In fact, she will outlast you. Join us, the young at heart of all ages, the Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 One-Design Association.

David Cooper, Commodore


50 Years on the Chesapeake Bay

A30class-logo The Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 One-Design Association held a 50-year celebration at the National Sailing Hall of Fame at the Annapolis City dock in 2014. The event included a parade around the harbor on Saturday and an “old-timers” race on Sunday. The Mayor of Annapolis proclaimed August 9, 2014 as “The Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 One-Design Association Day.

City of Annapolis Proclamation

Alberg30 History

In 1964, two Annapolis sailors, Jack Martin and Rolph Townshend, saw the first Alberg 30 delivered from Whitby Boat works in Canada to Arnie Gay’s Yacht Yard. They felt the Alberg 30 was the perfect boat to create a cruising/racing one-design association on the Chesapeake. They quickly struck a deal with Arnie to purchase 10 boats for a sum of $100,000, an impressive amount of money in 1964. So began the Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 One-Design Association and the long-term love affair with the Alberg 30 in Annapolis.

Where are we today?

A30insignia In 2016, the Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 One-Design Association became a founding member of the National Sailing Hall of Fame. Our individual members rose to the challenge during a membership fund drive late in 2016 to accomplish this generous donation. Considering that we are a small, local, one-design sailing organization, this achievement is significant, since it represents more than half of the annual operating budget of our entire Association.

Racing on the Bay

Alberg30s spinnaker Two weeks after the initial 10 boats were ordered in 1964, there were ten sailors eager to begin the fiberglass large boat one-design racing fleet. The Chesapeake Bay Yacht Racing Association (CBYRA) gave the fleet a provisional sanction for racing as a one-design class that year and in 1966, with the A30s boasting the largest one-design fleet in the area, they were given active sanction and the racing was solidly in place. It was not uncommon to find as many as 30 Alberg 30s on the starting line on the AYC Fall Series.

In 1965, the International Team races began on the Chesapeake against the Great Lakes Alberg Association. Also, in 1968, The Syronelle Regatta began in Toronto as a reciprocating racing event in which the Chesapeake Alberg Association sends racing teams to compete on Lake Ontario. Both annual events continue to this day.

The Alberg 30 was one of the first classes to join the Annapolis Yacht Club Wednesday Night Races. You can still find many Albergs racing in this event today.

Cruising on an Alberg 30

Alberg30raftup While there have been four circumnavigations (all single-handed) and numerous blue-water cruises on Alberg 30s, most of the cruising in the Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 One-Design Association is on the home-waters of the Chesapeake. The cruising schedule is jam packed with weekend cruises, a 2-week summer cruise and a very popular week-long fall cruise called “The Wild Goose Chase.” Point-to-Point races often coincide with a cruise destination that allows families to race together and enjoy the pleasure of rafting up with fellow Alberg cruisers.


What keeps us going?


It is often said “you are not just buying a boat, you are joining a family.” Life-long friendships (and marriages) have developed through the Chesapeake Bay Alberg 30 One-Design Association. We hold many events each year that helps us stay in touch with each other. Our publications like our monthly newsletter, the Mainsheet, our annual handbook, our winter educational seminars, and our online forums such as our public forum… http://lists.alberg30.org/listinfo.cgi/public-list-alberg30.org , tell us about upcoming events and provide tips for keeping these old boats sailing.


BACK TO YACHT CLUB STORIES PAGE

SYC Burgee

Stories from the Stamford Yacht Club

Stamford Yacht Club
97 Ocean Dr W
Stamford, CT 06902-8099
(203) 323-3161

Website: www.stamfordyc.com


The Stamford Yacht Club is located in Stamford, Connecticut on Stamford Harbor, and was founded in 1890 at the home of William Lottimer. The club has approximately 550 members.

Today the club is most noted for the Valeur-Jensen Stamford to Denmark Friendship Race, held in the Fall, and the annual Vineyard Race, held every Labor Day weekend since 1932. NSHOF has a video commemorating the 75th anniversary of the Vineyard Race in its Film Library, and on Stamford Yacht Club's Club Stories page.

The club hosts a number of significant sailboat races during the season, including the Vineyard Race, held every Labor Day weekend, and the Stamford Denmark Friendship Race, held in the fall.


STAMFORD YACHT CLUB BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER

From the Commodore:

"Stamford Yacht Club is proud to participate as a Founding Member of the National Sailing Hall of Fame. Special thanks goes to the leadership of Staff Commodore Joseph Dockery who spearheaded the fund raising efforts. The members of Stamford Yacht Club share and support the goals of NSHOF in promoting sailing and preserving America's sailing traditions."

Thomas Campfield, Commodore


The 75th Vineyard Race

On Friday, September 4, 2009, SYC held the 75th anniversary of it's classic Vineyard Race — one of the premiere yachting events on the East Coast. Challenging yet family-friendly, the annual Labor Day race is a 238-mile long distance course across Long Island Sound, past Block Island, around Martha's Vineyard and back.

This 15-minute movie brings together several sailors recalling their stories from the race, including Gary Jobson's experience racing the Vineyard with Ted Turner, and the 2006 race when Hurricane Ernesto became a last-minute player in the competition.

Approx. 15 mins.


History

The Stamford Yacht Club was organized on Thursday, October 16, 1890. The incorporators were William A. Lottimer, James D. Smith, William W. Skiddy, Albert C. Hall, Walter M. Smith, W.L. Brooks, A.M. Hurlbutt, Schuyler Merritt, Archibald H. Smith, Henry K. McHarg, James I. Raymond, and Samuel Fessenden, all of Stamford.

The Club’s earliest members were active people living in interesting times. The Merritt Parkway is, indeed, named after our second Vice Commodore, whose Commodore, Henry K. McHarg, built a railroad town in Texas that is still called Stamford.

stamfordyc-02 Like hundreds of members who followed them, the founders preserved and enhanced the Club, both for their contemporaries and for generations to come. When we commemorate our fellow members of earlier generations, we not only express our gratitude, but we also gain a sense of our own responsibility as stewards between the Club’s last century and its next.

NYC Burgee

Stories from the Nantucket Yacht Club

Nantucket Yacht Club
1 South Beach Street
Nantucket, MA 02554-6100
(508) 228-1400

Website: www.nantucketyachtclub.org


The organization which was to become the Nantucket Yacht Club was first chartered in 1890 as the Nantucket Athletic Club. By the summer of 1906 a second group had come together, calling themselves the Nantucket Yacht  Club, whose purpose was to provide sailing and racing for the summer residents of Nantucket, their families and friends. The leadership and membership have been able to hold a steady course - no easy matter with a seasonal operation - making changes as conditions have required and proving that yacht racing and sailing, tennis and social activity can all be kept lively and popular. The next hundred years will be exciting and are full of great promise.


NANTUCKET YACHT CLUB BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER


VIDEOS

Nantucket Race Week 2009

Every year the beautiful island village of Nantucket sponsors Nantucket Race Week, and every Race Week is a fun and exciting event for the entire family. 2009 was no exception. Here is Gary Jobson's colorful report, with highlights including the IOD Celebrity Regatta and the Parade of Rainbows (known as Beetlecats everywhere else).

About 25 minutes.


Nantucket Race Week 2007

Nantucket Race Week has evolved into one of the premier summer sailing events in the USA. Honorary Race Week Chairman Gary Jobson recently produced a film on the 2007 event, with a special feature on the famous Opera House Cup, featuring boats from the vintage America's Cup 12-meter class.

About 25 mins.


HISTORY

IT WAS A NEW ERA, a new century - and a new sailing tradition was about to begin.

nantucketold-01 Into a burgeoning summer scene, the Nantucket Yacht Club was born in the summer of 1906, when sailing enthusiasts led by H. Holton Wood assembled their boats off Brant Point and held organized races in Nantucket Sound. They met in houses built on Hulbert Avenue in 1900 by Henry Oliver Underwood, and had use of a nearby pier, complete with gazebo, owned by the neighboring Atkins Family.  Although still in its infancy, the new club acted as though it had been established for years. The first flag officers were H. Holton Wood, commodore; J.E.T. Rutter, vice commodore; Alice Underwood, secretary-treasurer; and Margaret Underwood, fleet captain. In mid-September, the yacht club held its first Commodore’s Cup Race to close the season. The new club was here to stay. Like no other instuition of Nantucket, it is a place where traditions are honored, where the past is respected, and where families are celebrated – its history intertwined with that of the island it calls home.

More History from the NYC website (PDF)

St. Francis YC burgee

Stories from the St. Francis Yacht Club

St. Francis Yacht Club
700 Marina Boulevard
San Francisco, CA 94123-1044
(415) 563-6363

Website: www.stfyc.org


Founded in 1927, the StFYC is in a prime location on the shore of San Francisco Bay, adjacent to the Golden Gate Bridge and National Recreation Area with dramatic views of the Golden Gate, Alcatraz and the Marin Headlands. The club is busy year-round with a wide range of events & activities, offering something for members and guests of every style.

ST. FRANCIS YACHT CLUB BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER


St. Francis Yacht Club Honors Hall of Famers

The St. Francis Yacht Club honored their Hall of Famers at a dinner on October 28, 2014 with 200 people attending.

Those honored included National Sailing Hall of Famers Tom Blackaller, Paul Cayard, Stan Honey and John Kostecki, plus America’s Cup Hall of Famers Lucy and Fritz Jewett. Another Hall of Famer, National Sailing Hall of Fame President Gary Jobson, was the Master of Ceremonies.

Here are some photos of the event, courtesy of photographer Igor Capibaribe, and a short video tribute that was played during the dinner.

Golden Gate Bridge view from St. Francis YC

SFYC-02

St Francis YC Hall of Famers

L-R: St. Francis YC Commodore Bruce Munro, John Kostecki, Stan Honey, Lisa Blackaller, Lucy Jewitt, Paul Cayard, Gary Jobson, St. Francis YC Commodore George Dort

Video: Tribute to the St. Francis Yacht Club Hall of Famers (4:15) :

SFYC-ftr

BACK TO YACHT CLUB STORIES PAGE

SDYC Burgee

Stories from the San Diego Yacht Club

San Diego Yacht Club
1011 Anchorage Lane
San Diego, CA 92106-3005
(619) 221-8400

Website: www.sdyc.org


SAN DIEGO YACHT CLUB BECOMES NSHOF FOUNDING MEMBER

From the Commodore:

“The mission of the San Diego Yacht Club is to encourage and foster interest in all aspects of yachting. We believe our support of the National Sailing Hall of Fame is consistent with this mission and we are pleased to be a Founding Member Yacht Club.

“The history and traditions of San Diego Yacht Club since our founding in 1886 are rich. Our racing sailors have distinguished themselves at all levels of competition including the Olympics, World Championships, and the America’s Cup. We are pleased that five Members are currently in the National Sailing Hall of Fame. Our Club excels in other areas as well, including cruising, angling, and our junior program.

“Perhaps our most important and enjoyable aspect is the camaraderie all Members enjoy at the Club and extend to our guests visiting from other clubs.”

Commodore John Laun


History

Commodore Pringle - SDYC's 1st (1886) In 1886 a group of local boating enthusiasts joined together to found what has become a cornerstone yacht club in the annals of American yachting. San Diego Yacht Club's facilities had humble beginnings in a number of locations, including an old ferry boat. SDYC has been at its present location on Point Loma since 1924. Its facilities operate year round and include 576 boat slips, dry storage for 161 boats, tennis courts, a swimming pool, picnic areas, a full service dining room, bar, banquet facilities, snack bar (summer only), gift shop, and an internationally renowned year-round Junior Program. Two-thirds of the members own boats. One-hundred employees maintain the Club facilities to serve the membership and their guests. SDYC members are dedicated to the principles and traditions of Corinthian yachting.


BACK TO YACHT CLUB STORIES PAGE

THE NATIONAL SAILING HALL OF FAME

69 Prince George Street, Annapolis, MD 21401
Phone: 410.295.3022 Toll-Free: 877.295.3022
Email: This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it. Hours: 10AM-4PM M-F

new-US-SAILING-LOGO Partners with US Sailing